Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It gets me every time

I don't have any knitter friends, and I keep forgetting this tiny but important fact. Recently while having coffee at a neighbors house, I blurted out that I had finally knit a pair of socks. I was feeling pretty good about this achievement, so I never expected to hear the roars of laughter. In my defense (and remembering that it was not long ago I thought knitting a sock was insane) I quickly tried to explain how knitting is cool - the "New Yoga".

Nobody bought it!

Then the other day, totally by accident, I let it slip to some friends that I started a knitting blog, and immediately realized my mistake. After the loud roars of laughter settled down, one friend inquired, "What do you talk about - dropped stitches?" Surprised she even knew what a dropped stitch was, I again quickly began my rehearsed defense, "You know knitting is considered cool now." more laughs... Another friend asked, "What do you knit, blankets?" There are some really great blanket patterns out there, but I knew she meant the acrylic type from the 1970's. It was right then and there I knew I was trying to win an uphill battle, and reminded myself of why I started a knitting blog.

You guys think knitting is cool, right?



Rowan Summer Tweed for Elinor (Interweave Knits Summer 2008)

Check out Gay's version.

5 comments:

Chronic Ennui said...

OMG! I know exactly how you feel. I have endured the derision for years - even before knitting WAS cool! I don't care because I know the truth.

Connie said...

I definitely think it's cool :)

Love your Drawstring Raglan. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about mine. I"m almost done with it.

Now, you're starting the Elinor tank? Wow, you're really whizzing through that issue :)

MadMad said...

Oh, no! You can't talk knitting with commoners! They just don't get it!

Mary said...

I know, my mistake!

Caffeine Faerie said...

I've had the derision for years. Until I discovered that there was such a thing as an SnB.

You're completely sane. You could also remind them that constant fidgeting/knitting/crocheting is good for your metabolism and weight loss. it's true! :p

I love you blog, and your Drawstring Raglan. Looking forward to seeing your Elinor. :)

~CF